Monday, December 7, 2009

Christmas Tree Mishap


Jeremy and Jaxon picked out a beautiful Christmas tree on Friday night. Life has been so hectic lately, that we didn't get around to decorating it until Sunday. I started putting the lights on and got halfway done, when I realized I put them on backwards, so the plug end was at the top instead of at the bottom. I took them all off and started over. Not a big deal, I was still very much in the Christmas mood. We finally finished the lights, put the ornaments on and were enjoying the tree when all of a sudden the tree fell over. On it's way down, it hit the dining room chandelier, almost pulling it out of the ceiling. The lights got caught in it and ripped them all off and tangling them up in a big knot. The star flew across the room, and the tree fell, smashing and braking all the ornaments. By the time we got the tree to a standing position, all the branches from the side it fell on were broken and squashed! We're not sure what made the tree fall, but we were never able to get the tree to stand up straight again. We had to cut about a foot off the trunk of the tree. In the process of cutting the tree, the trunk started to catch fire from the friction of the saw blade. Once we got the tree back into the tree stand we realized that we had to do some "jimmy-rigging" of some of the branches. We zip-tied the bottom branches up a little, and we stuffed branches that we had to trim off, into the holes that were caused from the tree tipping over. Lets just say by the time we got the tree stable, I was feeling a little less "jolly"! By the time it was all said and done, we just had to laugh because it really was funny how it all happened. The good news is the tree is up and the lights are on. (No ornaments though since most of them got smashed!)

4 comments:

Huntsman Family said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry. I can't believe that. I must admit though I would have loved to be there to see it. That is a great story to laugh about years down the road. OK it is funny now too. Sorry the more I think about it the more I think that it is funny. Love you guys!

Jennifer said...

Hahahahaha! I am sorry...I had to laugh. This post made my morning! Your poor tree! How sad. I am glad that you are still feeling the christmas spirit!

jayni & ben said...

Sad. That is no fun :(

Lacey said...

I'm so sorry! I had to laugh when I read that. My week has felt like your Christmas tree! I have some extra glass bulbs that I don't use anymore that you can have!

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker